Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm SPF 15 Review, photos and swatches
May 15, 2011 by Harshleen
I like to have a lip balm tucked in my purse at all times to make sure I treat my dry (sometimes chapped) lips well. Although I prefer a highly emollient lip butter for nighttime, it’s always nice to have something with a hint color during the day. Also, when it comes to choosing lip products, I find myself reaching for the ones that contain least possible synthetic ingredients. So, when I came across the new Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm, the idea of a tinted glossy balm with SPF 15 and mostly natural ingredients sounded very appealing to me and I picked up a couple of shades to try.
I bought two shades – Clay (sheer beige with a hint of shimmer) and Sandstone (frost peachy-pink with shimmer). Both of these are nice everyday shades and easily wearable for most complexions.
Here are the swatches, both swatches took about 3-4 layers to achieve the color shown.
What I like about Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm:
- NatureLuxe gloss balm has a soft & creamy texture and applies smoothly.
- Feels moisturizing on lips without being sticky and leave dry lips hydrated.
- It gives a tint of natural looking sheer color with a slight glossy sheen.
- The swivel-up design is convenient and snaps shut with a click so the cap won’t come off in your purse.
What I don’t like about Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm :
- Although this gloss balm claims to have SPF 15, it does not have sufficient UVA-shielding sunscreen ingredients to keep your lips protected from UVA rays that cause photo-aging.
- It has a lingering (somewhat fruity) fragrance which is not pleasant to my nose. Anyways, I am not a fan of scented cosmetics and skin-care products because fragrance can be a potential irritant for your skin in the long run.
- The color and glossy finish wears off easily from lips and you have to reapply often.
- These gloss balms retail for $6.50, which is a bit pricey for a drugstore tinted lip product.
My final thoughts : Overall, I like the non-sticky moisturizing formula and glossy finish of these new lippies from Covergirl. For a tinted lip balm, the range of color selection is impressive as you have 16 shades to choose from. Although they have a lot of good stuff in the ingredient list, I am disappointed with the strong fragrance and lack of broad-spectrum sunscreen. Being a little UV-obsessed, it is a deal breaker for me and I won’t be going back for more shades.
Have you tried Covergirl NatureLuxe gloss balms? What do you think?
How to Keep Your Lips Kissable
Posted on Nov 16, 2013
Kate Ryan Skincare Smooth and Protect Lip Collagen Serum & Nourishing Lip Shimmer
Posted on Jul 24, 2013
Sephora Wishlist: Lip Sets from BITE Beauty, Smashbox & OCC
Posted on Jun 20, 2013
Beauty ADDICTS Sweet LIPS Lip Gloss in Blush
Posted on Apr 26, 2013