I like to have a lip balm tucked in my purse at all times to make sure I treat my dry (sometimes chapped) lips well. Although I prefer a highly emollient lip butter for nighttime, it’s always nice to have something with a hint color during the day. Also, when it comes to choosing lip products, I find myself reaching for the ones that contain least possible synthetic ingredients. So, when I came across the new Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm, the idea of a tinted glossy balm with SPF 15 and mostly natural ingredients sounded very appealing to me and I picked up a couple of shades to try.
I bought two shades – Clay (sheer beige with a hint of shimmer) and Sandstone (frost peachy-pink with shimmer). Both of these are nice everyday shades and easily wearable for most complexions.
Here are the swatches, both swatches took about 3-4 layers to achieve the color shown.
What I like about Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm:
- NatureLuxe gloss balm has a soft & creamy texture and applies smoothly.
- Feels moisturizing on lips without being sticky and leave dry lips hydrated.
- It gives a tint of natural looking sheer color with a slight glossy sheen.
- The swivel-up design is convenient and snaps shut with a click so the cap won’t come off in your purse.
What I don’t like about Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm :
- Although this gloss balm claims to have SPF 15, it does not have sufficient UVA-shielding sunscreen ingredients to keep your lips protected from UVA rays that cause photo-aging.
- It has a lingering (somewhat fruity) fragrance which is not pleasant to my nose. Anyways, I am not a fan of scented cosmetics and skin-care products because fragrance can be a potential irritant for your skin in the long run.
- The color and glossy finish wears off easily from lips and you have to reapply often.
- These gloss balms retail for $6.50, which is a bit pricey for a drugstore tinted lip product.
My final thoughts : Overall, I like the non-sticky moisturizing formula and glossy finish of these new lippies from Covergirl. For a tinted lip balm, the range of color selection is impressive as you have 16 shades to choose from. Although they have a lot of good stuff in the ingredient list, I am disappointed with the strong fragrance and lack of broad-spectrum sunscreen. Being a little UV-obsessed, it is a deal breaker for me and I won’t be going back for more shades.
Have you tried Covergirl NatureLuxe gloss balms? What do you think?