The lazy days of summer have begun and that may mean getting lazy about your skin care routine. Here are a few helpful shortcuts for an easier skincare routine so you can still cheat your way to looking gorgeous all summer long! Consider it to be the lazy girl’s guide to healthy and glowing summer skin…
1. Use your facial scrub as a cleanser – One of the keys to managing skin discoloration is to use exfoliating products such as gentle facial scrubs (using round beads, not harsh natural grains like apricot kernels that can be too irritating) 2-3 times per week. Don’t want to add an extra step in your routine? Pick up a facial scrub that doubles as a cleanser during your morning shower. Two benefits, cleansing and exfoliating, in one 30 second step!
2. Simplify your SPF routine – The real truth to sunscreen is not about the SPF number (although an SPF 30 is the minimum you should wear) but it is how generously it is applied, and certainly how often it is reapplied when outdoors. Start the day with an all-in-one tinted moisturizer with SPF to streamline your leave-the-house routine, replacing foundation and separate facial sunscreen. And make sure to toss a travel-friendly SPF-based mineral powder in your purse for when you want to reapply or layer more on during extended time outdoors…with a few quick brush strokes you can protect your skin and keep it safe from damaging UV rays.
Try PCA Skin Sheer Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 45 (my favorite sunscreen EVER! Great for anyone who hates to wear sunscreen)
Paula’s Choice RESIST Super Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 (great for oily skin)
3. Wash your skin earlier in the evening – You don’t necessarily have to wash your face right before going to bed (when you are most exhausted and laziness is at its peak). Perform your night-time cleansing and moisturizing routine before or after dinner, around 7:30 or 8:00 pm, so that your skin is all clear and ready to hit the sack whenever you are! Also, keep your skin care products, particularly an alcohol-free toner, in the refrigerator, so that when applied to the skin, they provide a cooling and soothing effect. Whatever it takes, you never want to let your skin marinate in makeup while you sleep, not to mention a day’s worth of oil and bacteria build up!
4. Use an at-home resurfacing treatment – Overdue for a facial? Monthly facial treatments are a great way to control damage from the sun but many a times skincare maintenance takes a backseat when you have a jam-packed schedule of barbecues, vacations, and of course, time at the beach and pool! For a quick skin fix, use an at-home exfoliant to gently peel away dullness, smooth sun damage and reveal a healthy glow without irritating the skin. Keep in mind that the use of exfoliating acids can increase sun sensitivity so be sure to keep your skin protected with sunscreen – every single day.
5. Limit exposure to the Sun – No matter how diligent you are about re-applying sunscreen, wearing a hat and staying in the shade as much as possible is always a smart idea! A big-brimmed hat will even shield your neck and decolletage a bit. You’ll spare yourself so much sun damage—and be able to slack a little bit on the constant sunscreen reapplication.