Healthy skin is beautiful and radiates a natural glow that sure looks great! Here are 10 simple ways to maintain a healthy and younger-looking skin.
• Cover up with a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least an SPF 30 everyday. If you are going to be out even for a short while and even if it’s cloudy outside, you sure need to protect yourself from the damaging UV rays by applying a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum UV protection. Apply your SPF, inside or out, because you still get damaging (aka aging) UVA rays from windows in your home, office or car. Do not skip moisturizing (with sunscreen) your neck and hands too. These body parts can reveal your actual age even if your face doesn’t so take care!
• Exfoliating should be an essential part of your skincare regime if you want soft and radiant skin. Not only does it help to get rid of dull, tired-looking skin, but is also an effective way to get rid of those dreaded large pores. Increased oil production(sebum), dead skin cells and other cellular debris getting in the way of the pores causes the pores to become clogged. They are more likely to stay enlarged as you age. Exfoliating regularly helps to clear the skin debris from clogged pores and smooth out your complexion. The appearance of pores can also be improved using products like Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector after cleansing.
• Do not ditch your moisturizer as soon as you see a zit or two. You can switch to a light non-greasy formula to provide skin its daily dose of moisture. Moisturizer keeps your skin hydrated and protects it against damage from free radicals. Use a daily moisturizer with SPF to make things easier and ensure total protection from environmental factors.
• Slather on your body lotion every day right after you come out of the shower when your skin is still damp and absorbs well. The same applies for your facial moisturizer as well – the sooner the better!
• You already know smoking isn’t good for your health. Here’s another fact that should motivate you to quit – smoking destroys collagen and elastin. (these two are essential to keep your skin firm)
• Collagen and elastin can also be affected by excessive sugar intake. So it’s a good idea to ignore your sweet tooth at times to avoid premature aging.
• Green vegetables (like broccoli, lettuce), almonds, walnuts and fish (mainly salmon) are rich in skin-essential nutrients (aka antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, omega-3) and thus keep your skin healthy.
• Squinting stretches the delicate skin around your eyes so make sure to wear sunglasses which also shields your skin from damaging UV rays from the sun.
• Break the habit of sipping through a straw if you want to avoid lines showing up around your mouth area. Resting your chin on your hand quite often also stretches the skin……avoid it.
• If you are sleeping daily on one side, the creases in cotton can eventually make their mark on your face. Try sleeping on your back to avoid that and switch to a smooth satin pillowcase.
Last but not the least, don’t skip blush. Just smile and dab a little color on the rounds of your cheeks to give your face a healthy & rosy glow.