The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently released a report about potentially dangerous levels of lead found in some popular lipstick products. Four hundred of the most popular lipsticks in the US were analyzed and found to contain trace levels of lead. The highest level of lead, 7.19 parts per million was found in Maybelline’s Color Sensational “Pink Petal” lipstick whereas the average lead concentration in the 400 lipsticks tested was 1.11 parts per million.
Although FDA assures that “We do not consider the lead levels found in the lipsticks to be a safety concern. The lead levels we found are within the limits recommended by other public health authorities for lead in cosmetics.” but the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics has a different take on the results. Mark Mitchell, co-chairman of the Environmental Health Task Force for the National Medical Association states “Lead builds in the body over time, and lead-containing lipstick applied several times a day, every day, can add up to significant level exposure”
Surprisingly, the least-contaminated product has been found to be Wet & Wild Mega Mixers Lip Balm which is also the least expensive. And here’s the 10 lipstick brands and shades that contain the most lead, according the FDA study.
- Maybelline’s Color Sensation in Pink Petal. (Lead content: 7.19 ppm)
- L’Oreal Colour Riche in Volcanic. (Lead content: 7.00 ppm)
- NARS Semi-Matte in Red Lizard. (Lead content: 4.93 ppm)
- Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues Color in Ruby Remix (Lead content: 4.92 ppm)
- NARS Semi-Matte in Funny Face. (Lead content: 4.89)
- L’Oreal Colour Rich in Tickled Pink. (Lead content: 4.45)
- L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor in Heroic. (Lead content: 4.41)
- Cover Girl Continuous Color in Warm Brick. (Lead content: 4.28)
- Maybelline Color Sensational in Mauve Me. (Lead content: 4.23)
- Stargazer lipstick in shade ”c.” (Lead content: 4.12)
You can read the full article here for more information.