Ah, summer! Who doesn’t love summertime? Sunny days at the beach, bonfires, pool parties and BBQs…blissful!! But there’s no denying the fact that the sweltering summer sun can take its toll on our skin and hair. From melting makeup to greasy skin, the summer beauty struggle is real!
Even if you’re not oil-prone, summer heat and humidity can lead to unwanted shine. And for those of us with naturally oily skin, hot weather really exacerbates that sticky situation!
Oil-absorbing products can be a game-changer for anyone struggling with excessively oily areas of skin (especially in the T-zone). From prepping your skin to midday touch-ups, here are 12 must-have mattifiers that don’t just sop up greasy shine but also prevent it from showing up in the first place.
Keep scrolling to see the best drugstore oil control products that eliminate excess shine and keep your face looking fresher for longer. All of these shine-busters are easily available at your local drugstore under $20, except one!
1. Cetaphil Dermacontrol Oil Control Foam Wash ($9.79) – A longtime favorite of mine, especially for summer! This is a great drugstore oil control face wash that removes excess oil and dirt but doesn’t over dry skin. Unlike many face cleansers for oily acne-prone skin, it doesn’t have any drying soap ingredients. Instead, it gets the job done with gentle cleansers that won’t strip or dry out skin and also rinses easily without leaving a residue.
2. Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer ($5.25) – This one is really the top winner when it comes to best drugstore oil control primers! The ultra lightweight formula has a truly matte finish and works overtime keeping oily skin from greasing up. Not only does it create the perfectly smooth canvas for makeup application, but also curbs that dreaded midday shine for oily to very oily skin types. It works well with all types of foundations and it’s only about $5…win!!
3. Milani Make It Last Makeup Setting Spray ($9.99) – This double-duty formula can be used not only as a setting spray over makeup but also as a primer under makeup. No matter how you to use it, it really does a great job of keeping your makeup in place all day, even in hot and humid weather. It primes & sets your look and prevents any fading, creasing or unwanted shine.
4. L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation ($9) – If you need serious shine control, this mattifying makeup won’t let you down! Perfect for oily and acne-prone skin, it goes on smooth with a demi-matte finish that keeps skin shine-free for hours.
The oil-controlling foundation formula feels really lightweight and offers medium coverage that holds up well throughout the day. Just make sure to use a primer beforehand for a truly long-lasting matte finish, especially if you have large pores like me.
5. L’Oreal Detox and Brighten Pure Clay Mask ($9.30) – This super-charged mattifying mask detoxifies dull, tired skin in just 10 minutes! Infused with potent pure clays and charcoal, this mask acts like a magnet to draw out pore-clogging impurities such as dirt, oil, and pollutants. It leaves skin feeling fresh, purified, smooth and shine-free.
6. Maybelline Matte + Poreless Fit Me Foundation ($6) – A drugstore beauty bargain, this fragrance-free foundation really lives up to its claims of blurring pores, and has a natural-looking matte finish that’s perfect for oily skin. It has a beautifully lightweight feel, won’t clog pores and comes in an impressive range of shades from light to deep skin tones.
7. NYX HD Finishing Powder Translucent ($9.99) – This lightweight, translucent pressed powder has a silky feel and sets your makeup with a smooth matte finish. It works well to control oil, eliminate excess shine and doesn’t cake over makeup for an over-powdered look. And the translucent shade works for all skin tones.
8. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60 ($19.99) – If you have oily or acne-prone skin and hate the way most sunscreens feel (heavy or greasy), this one will change your mind! It’s lightweight, oil-absorbing formula dries down instantly for a mattifying effect and keeps greasy shine under control even in heat & humidity.
Thanks to its ultra-light texture, this is definitely a great sunscreen to wear under makeup. It provides reliable broad-spectrum sun protection and is also water resistant (80 minutes) which makes it perfect for beach and pool parties as well!
9. ESSENCE All About Matt! Fixing Compact Powder ($3.99) – This compact pressed powder can be applied over foundation to mattify your skin and set your makeup. The lightweight formula absorbs excess oil & shine and is also great for touch-ups throughout the day. It can also be used alone on bare skin to maintain a smooth, shine-free look.
10. La Roche-Posay Effaclar BB Blur Instant Oil-Absorbing Coverage Cream Mousse ($29.99) – There’s a lot to love about this shine control BB cream for oily skin! It has an ultra-light, mousse-like whipped texture that blends easily and mattifies shine while blurring the appearance of pores. It provides natural-looking light coverage for a “your skin but better” look that’s perfect for warmer months. Just the perfect pick for an easy-breezy effortless summer makeup look!
11. Milani Prime Shield Mattifying & Pore-Minimizing Face Primer ($9.99) – This is another great drugstore mattifying primer for combination to oily skin. The translucent formula softens the appearance of fine lines and large pores while helping your foundation glide on smoothly (and stay put!) You only need one small dab for the whole face and it helps stop the greasy madness.
12. Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets ($5.99) – If your skin tends to get oily throughout the day, these oil-absorbing blotting sheets come in handy to get rid of shine – anytime, anywhere! Blot shiny spots gently with one sheet to instantly soak up grease without messing your makeup or leaving behind powder on your skin. And the compact is easy to carry in your handbag!
13. E.l.f Mattifying Blotting Papers ($5) – These budget-friendly blotting papers also take away unwanted shine and oil without rubbing off or smearing your makeup. They’re cheap, handy and a quick fix for oil control without having to use a powder compact. The slim package fits easily even in a small clutch!
And if you ever run out of these blotting options, grab a few extra Starbucks’ napkins with your latte order! They’re just as sheer and absorbent and mop up excess shine in a pinch!
14. FORMULA 10.0.6 Three Times Sublime ($6.99) – This is a 3-in-1 multitasking product that acts as an oil control face wash, scrub and mask to keep your complexion clear. Infused with pink grapefruit and jojoba beads to exfoliate, it removes excess oil and unclogs pores while also getting rid of blackheads. Truly a drugstore delight!
15. Derma E Purifying Oil-Free Moisturizer ($18.56) – As the summer begins to roll in, swap out your daily moisturizer for an oil-free, lightweight option like this one by Derma e. The detoxifying formula contains activated charcoal plus potent antioxidants and aloe vera for healthy hydration with a smooth matte finish. This is a great pick for oily to very oily skin types!
As great as these oil-control products are and will keep shine to a bare minimum, excessively oily skin can be difficult to deal with and requires a little extra TLC (especially in summer!) Need a few skin care pointers? Check out these handy tips to Summerize Your Skincare. You also might find this lazy girl’s guide to easy summer skincare routine quite helpful!
Shop this post…
image 1: source
Leave a Reply