As someone who grew up in India, I am not new to the Indian tradition of slathering my hair in oil to keep them moisturized and healthy. Growing up, my mom used to massage warm coconut oil on my scalp once a week. It was a must in our haircare routine, no exceptions….I admit I wasn’t a fan of this weekly ritual back then. But that’s definitely something I am now thankful for (other than good genes of course!) my thick, long hair. So, when I was recently introduced to Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil, I just I had to try it! Darshana hair oil is a blend of natural Ayurvedic ingredients rich in antioxidants, omega oils, and vitamins, that are specially formulated to nourish your hair and make it healthier and silky smooth. Unlike most of the styling hair oils available in the market today, Darshana is a natural product free of any parabens, silicones, mineral oil, sulfates, artificial fragrance/colors and petroleum products and is also cruelty-free. Here are some of the Key Ingredients :
- Organic Sunflower Seed Oil: Rich in Omega-6 and 9, moisturizes and conditions hair
- Coconut Oil: Contains Vitamin E, Omega-6 and 9, for soft, healthy, hair
- Olive Oil: Rich in Omega 3 for smooth hair with less flyaways
- Apricot Kernal Oil: Rich inVitamins A, B, & E, Omega-6 and 9 to help nourish and moisturize hair and skin
- Vitamin E: Antioxidant that repairs dry damaged hair
- Indian Gooseberry: Vitamin C which promotes healthier hair
- Fenugreek Seed: Conditions your hair
- Castor Oil: Locks in moisture and makes hair soft and shiny
- Henna extract: Protects hair color
- Linseed extract: Soothes, moisturizes, and adds radiance to hair and skin
- Red Clover extract: Strengthens and fortifies hair
- Orange and Grapefruit Peel Oil: Aromatic essential oils for fragrance
Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil is a pre-shower treatment oil that you massage onto dry hair prior to shampooing and then wash out. The directions suggest to apply oil to dry hair from roots to tips and massage into scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes or for best results overnight (that’s what I like to do because the longer you leave it in your hair, the more it has a chance to absorb) and then shampoo and condition hair as usual. It has a light, fresh citrusy-orange scent that’s so nice! I love how lightweight it is and absorbs quickly without making my mane look and feel like a total grease-ball. A little goes a long way with this hair oil, so just be sure to start out with a small amount at first and use more as needed.
One of the great things about Darshana is that it washes out easily even with a sulfate-free shampoo, without leaving my hair oily or limp. And being a a natural hair oil, it can be used as often as you feel your hair needs it! It’s good for all hair types but is especially helpful for dry, damaged, frizzy or curly hair. My dry, frizzy and sun-ravaged strands have been so much softer and healthier since I started using this. This hair oil can also be used for styling and smoothing out frizzy hair and flyaways applied after the shower (using only a few drops) but I haven’t tried it that way yet.
If you are looking for a natural, intensive conditioning treatment that can put your dry, damaged or over-processed hair back on the road to recovery, Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil is just what you need! Clocking in at $38 for 6 oz, it’s a bit expensive but totally worth trying out. Available at darshanabeauty.com